Legal questions:

What documents do I need to bring to the first meeting?

An original birth certificate, extract of birth or passport needs to be produced to your celebrant. A current or expired, but not cancelled passport can be shown. If these documents cannot be produced, you should advise your celebrant, who will organise and witness a Statutory Declaration regarding your birth details.

You also need to bring photographic evidence such as a drivers licence.
If one partner is not able to attend the celebrant’s office for the lodgement, the other can lodge the Notice of Intended Marriage alone, but both partners must sign before the wedding takes place.

Who can I have as my witnesses?

Anyone you like providing they are over the age of 18 years. They can be from overseas.

My partner is divorced, I am widowed, what documents do we need to show you?

If previously married, evidence is needed to show that your last marriage has ended, in the form of an original certificate.

What happens in the event that we have to postpone our wedding?

The Notice of Intended Marriage is valid for 18 months, I am only too happy to reschedule the wedding with you.




Ceremony questions:

Can I have a friend or family member read a poem at my wedding?

Yes, these are often used to personalise your ceremony and to include more special people in the ceremony.

How long will the Ceremony take?

The average time is 15 – 20 minutes but this may vary depending on what you would like to include. This is completely up to you!

Do I have to be given away?

No this is a personal choice and is not a requirement.




General questions:

What will you wear?

This depends on the couple and the ceremony. I will dress to suit the formality or informality of your wedding. It’s your day not mine and I am happy to fit in with your wedding theme and can even be convinced to play dress ups…if it’s what will help make your day perfect.

When should we book a celebrant?

As soon as you have decided on a specific date.

Can we have a surprise wedding?

Yes, you can surprise your guests, but you cannot surprise your intended spouse.  Both parties must agree to marry, and the decision should not be made under duress, but with due thought and consideration.

What is the Cost?

See my services and fees page.

What venues do you recommend?

Anywhere! The city, your own home, gardens, beach or a park (but you should check with the local council regarding fees for some of these choices).

If you are having an outdoor wedding, have a back-up plan in case the weather is terrible!

Can we have a ceremony or wedding to celebrate our relationship, without getting legally married?

Yes, many people appreciate the ritual of a wedding even if they don’t want to (or can’t) get legally married. Some want an opportunity to celebrate their love with their family and friends, or make vows to each other in a private ceremony.